Friday, March 10, 2006

News a bit thin on the ground at present & I seem to be very busy with various projects. Sadly Liverpool's goal drought continued on Wednesday, but to be honest, I'm still on a high from last May so hard to be too despondent. I guess the strikers are just saving themselves for the derby game at the end of the month. I had a ticket for this game but work & other commitments make it impossible to get there. I offered it to my brother but he declined (probably just as well as his track record of watching Liverpool play and win is a bit thin on the ground - although I think he came with me to the 1986 cup final to see Liverpool clinch the double with a 3-1 victory over Everton) as he has just gone back to Baghdad for a few weeks - rather him than me.

Speaking of Baghdad, I've finally found time to read Rageh Omaar's excellent Revolution Day. Unlike so many other commentators, Rageh is someone who has lived & worked in Baghdad over a number of years for the BBC and gives a very clear picture of what the impact of the pending Iraqi war and aftermath has meant for the Iraqi people. The book is devoid of political bias and is just an honest& frank account of what the situation was actually like. He would be a great speaker for Greenbelt and I've asked my brother in the past he he could invite him, but these days (post Iraq war fame I guess) Rageh is usually half way around the world & I think currently has his home in South Africa. Not sure if he'll be at my brother's wedding - I'm planning to take a pile of books to the reception so that I can get them all signed!

One of my bargain buys in the Christmas sales was a Hewlett Packard 8250 printer - I got it half price at PC World. This was a complete shock as I've usually found PC World the last place to go for bargains. Anyway, it has been great for printing out photos etc. A word of caution though - if you get a paper jam, clear it straight away - don't come back later to do it. The print head arrangement means that you risk a paper jam leaving the paper in contact with them. Result is a set of 6 ink cartridges that discharge their (very expensive) ink onto the paper.

My other mishap of the last week was a delightful trip over to Greenwich Park on Sunday. It's been a while since we made it to the top of the park so was nice to get back. Problem was the last time we made the trip parking was free. Despite numerous car park pay signs we failed to notice them - too busy enjoying a cold but sunny spring day. Result was a £50 ticket - ouch. Helen & I have an agreement though that if either of us ever get a ticket that we will just put it down to experience - so next time we will buy a ticket first.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?